Skip to main content

Bringing The Fight (Ch 1)




* Jaxxen *
The second I saw her, it felt like my heart died and came to life all at once. Like I'd found the other half of my soul and my heart couldn't take the strain. It took all my control to continue to sit still at the counter of the bar at Old Toms Tavern with Nason talking my ear off.
I watch her clean up after the local yokels, tracking every movement like prey.
"She got here last week," Nason told me when he noticed who had my real attention, "Tom's letting her live upstairs."
I take a long pull of my beer, nodding. The girl clearly tried to look frumpy, wearing a god awful baggy green sweater that covered her ass with equal loose fitted jeans. She long strawberry blonde hair is pulled up haphazardly.
Her furtive eyes and careful movement sing to my darkness, whispering she's in trouble and I'm the one she needs. I wish the bar wasn't so damn dark. I can't tell the color of her eyes as she worked across the long room, but she kept them at the entrance and exit every few minutes. The girl's a runner.
I need another beer, but Old Tom's too busy keeping up with gossip to care. Then I smell the cloying perfume I originally came into town to see before her.
"Jax," Bria husky voice purrs over my shoulder.
Nason sat up straighter. Poor guy could probably have Bria if he asked her out, but he thought she had class. I know better. Bria's a cock whore.
When I pick up my empty beer bottle, Bria touches my left shoulder. I stand, towering over her with a frown. She knew not to touch me. I never allowed her to touch me unless it's when my cocks shoved down her throat.
"No." Was all I growled then laser-focus on the girl.
Being the biggest and tallest man in the bar, the girl saw me coming, so she rounded the space as I intentionally corralled her behind the bar. So easy.
"Hi," I lean over to catch her eye, but she picked up a towel, not looking up, "What's your name?"
She swallows then evenly says, "Coralee, but people call me Cora."
Fucking beautiful. "Well, I'm Jaxxen but people call me Jax. We have something in common already."
I catch a flicker of a smile on her dry lips but she turned to go, so I held up my bottle, "Can I get another please, Coralee?"
She finally looks up, eyes going to the entrance before deftly handing me a fresh beer. Coralee hasn't looked into my eyes and I want to grab her chin to make her.
I like her height. She's maybe five feet nine and although her eyes look sunken in, seemed to have a great body underneath those ugly clothes.
"Go on a date with me," I blurt out.
Now she looks up, and I smile as warmly as I can. Her hazel eyes hold fire, something I hoped to see. Coralee looks me up and down. I know she likes what she sees, but her pretty mouth turns down into a sneer.
"I'm not looking to date anyone," her sweet raspy voice hits me square in the heart but her words sound detached but firm.
With a wink I try to thaw her icy walls with a lame quip, "Me either, just you."
"No," she turned away with a lip curl, dismissing me to help other patrons.
As I make my way back to the stool beside Nason, take out my phone. If Coralee thinks I'm giving up, she needs a fucking fire under her ass like I have. There's nothing sexier than a woman recognizing danger and spitting in its face.
The flower shop I order for a single sunflower to deliver daily with my phone number and name attached isn't cheap, but I don't give a fuck.
I listen to Nason talk about his ranch as I finish my beer, continuing to track Coralee skirt around the local men and conversations. Definitely a girl with a past.
I moved to Perla Montana years ago after having my cabin built with nothing in mind but losing myself in nature. The fifty acres I own twenty miles outside the town keep me a loner to the tight-knit community but I prefer it this way.
Coming to Toms every few weeks or every other month led me to meet Nason and fuck Bria when I want, but after meeting Coralee, now knew I'm ready for more.
I want a strong woman that knows life can give you shit, spit you out, and it's up to you to get back up. A woman that could help me on the land and in the bedroom.
I mutter a goodbye to Nason an hour later, then head out. Bria's lurking around my Jeep like a stalker. I can practically smell her pussy before spotting her overly made-up face in the lamp post above my ride.
"Ready to go back to my place?" she parts her painted red lips, licking them with more vigor than necessary.
"It's over," I bluntly say.
If I fucked around with Bria, the town whore would tell Coralee and then the girl wouldn't have anything to do with me.
"Why?" Bria whines like she doesn't have five others on speed dial, "I thought you liked me."
I sigh, opening the door to my Jeep, "You can find someone else. It's over Bria."
I drove home, leaving her pouting in the parking lot. Her daddy owns half the town. She'll have no trouble finding someone else to piss him off with.
Once I'm home, my Husky's Ren and Stimpy run off the wooden porch to inspect me. I pet them absently, sitting outside the front door removing my boots.
I pin in the code to my office once inside and set about to investigate Coralee. Tom has a converted living space above the tavern but it's not suitable for a young woman like her.
I give myself a month before sleeping with Coralee in my bed. There's no doubt in my mind she'd move in with me and never worry about anything again. What the hell was a girl like her doing in Perla?
Hacking into Tom's old shit computer system isn't hard nor the first time I'd done it. I know about everyone that lives locally in Perla. Chuckling to myself, I'm not at all surprised he hadn't put Coralee on the books. I bet my left nut she told the old sap some sob story, and he'd simply said okay to whatever she wanted.
For two days I keep busy, receiving email alerts confirming Coralee received my gifts. She probably never had a man send her flowers just asking for a call or text and I tell myself to wait a week before returning to town. Patience. She hasn't run yet, so I figure she likes the attention.
I camp out with my dogs for a few days deep on my property to check for predators and clean the hidden bunker which was the deciding factor to buy the fifty-acre lot just to keep my mind off of Coralee.
I pictured her there with me around the fire, laid out in my pop tent while I spend the night devoted to her body, wanting her long legs wrapped around me, under the stars as I press her to the hard ground making her beg for it.
When the week's up, so is Coralee's time. She can try to hide from her past, but now I've set my sights on her, she can't from me.
*Coralee*
I wistfully touch the pretty sunflowers on the rickety table before heading down to the smelly bar. Tom told me the flowers aren't local, so Jaxxen spent a pretty penny shipping them in for me.
Me.
I wasn't told much about Jaxxen from Tom other than the man was a bit of a loner who rarely came into town. He supposedly had a large cabin built within a few months then showed up one day. Tom told me to be careful when the first sunflower arrived but said it with a kind smile and it was the only reason I didn't turn around and throw the long-stemmed flower in the trash. I need to pretend I'm a normal woman instead of a broken one.
I admit the man is dangerously hot. Jaxxen has the most intense gray eyes I'd ever seen and a megawatt movie star smile that made me uncomfortably aroused. He's huge too. Mountain man huge with muscles on his muscles. I'm not short, but he towered over me the first time we met.
Letting out a frustrated sigh, tied the worn apron around my waist before helping the few customers in the bar. Tom's more of a talker than a worker, but he owned the place. I supposed he earned the right to whatever he wants at his age.
I bite the inside of my cheek as young men smile and try to talk to me throughout the night. It doesn't matter what these guys do, I can never get involved. Not only am I not interested, I never stay in one place for long.
The front door opened and my eyes immediately darted over, making sure Braden's not standing there with a gun. No, it not my nightmare standing there, but Jax. My face flames seeing him look right at me with intense interest.
"Cora!" Tom yells, "Get Pat a bag of chips from the back, please."
I quickly comply, running into the back storeroom. Damn Jax is seriously hot.
Reaching into the box that held a mix of potato chips heard his deep timber behind me say, "Hello Coralee. How has your week been?"
I steady my nerves before I turn around. He's leaning his large frame against the door, blocking my escape. I'm not afraid though. I knew men who hurt women, and he doesn't seem the sort. His eyes don't roam over me, although I check out his low-slung jeans, tight black shirt that his body stretched when he crossed his arms.
"T-thank you for the flowers," I sound like a shy little girl as I avoid his piercing eyes.
"Do you know why I decided on Sunflowers, Coralee?" his tone is impossibly deep and I feel it rumble in my chest.
Licking my lips, risk a glance into those silver eyes, "No?"
"They remind me of your beautiful eyes. Your dark pupil flares out into the most amazing yellows and gold with blue behind them like a summer sky."
My panties literally melt as I gaped up at him. Is he serious? We'd only briefly met last week. Talk about eyes, I'd get lost in them if we continued to stare at each other.
"Go out with me."
"No."
"Why not? I don't plan on taking you into town if that's what you're worried about Coralee."
"Cora," I correct him, wondering how he knew I don't want people seeing me in town. "Where would you like to take me?"
He gives me a cute smirk that makes my heart race, "Say yes. I want to surprise you. You deserve a surprise."
"I was already surprised by the flowers," I mutter, wishing he'd leave.
Jax steps away from the doorway as if reading my mind. "I won't leave here tonight until you say yes. Once you do, I will pick you up tomorrow at noon to spend the day with me."
I clench my hands into a fist. So, he's an alpha control freak? I'd already had that with Braden. "No."
Clutching the bag of chips, I rushed past him and nearly threw them at Pat on my way to clear a table. Why did I attract such controlling men? Jaxxen has no idea who I am. I can't get involved even if I want to. I gave myself a month in Perla to save money before finding another shit town.
True to Jax word, he sits down at a table in the back of the room, producing a deck of cards. I try to avoid him, but work is work, and he's a customer. After two beers and two more attempts at asking me out, he switched to water. With a tight smile, I leave two frosted water bottles so I don't have to return.
I noticed a pretty woman with a lot of skin showing trying to sit with him, but he ran her off after a few minutes. I think someone called her Bria, but I'm not here to make friends. For a small town, I risk being spotted by Braden working somewhere nearly all the locals come inside at one point during the week, but I'm two states over. Hopefully, a month isn't too long to stay in Perla.
"Looks like you're going to have to kick Jax out," Tom drawls taking money out of the old till. "I've never seen the man just hang out before just to look at my old mug."
I shot Tom a reassuring smile, "It's fine. He wants to talk. I'll see you Monday."
Tom smiles with a wink like I'm going to get lucky before leaving us alone. I turn off most of the lights then sit down at his table instead of going upstairs for a much-needed shower to wash beer and smoke from my hair.
"Please leave me alone," I tell him firmly, hiding my shaking hands under the tabletop.
"Who are you running from Coralee?" he cocks his head and wets his lips, "Don't look so surprised. I'm not like the others in this town who think the worse thing that could happen is a drought or-"
"Stop!" I stand up, angry and scared. What the hell does he know? Did Braden send him?
"What's your last name Coralee? Mine is White."
I blink, getting whiplash from the change of conversations. "My last name? Why do you care? Why are you bothering me? Are you... really from here? Perla?"
"Yes, I am. Maybe I want to get to know you. I will keep sending you those flowers and keep sitting here every night until you come to my cabin."
I swallow hard, looking into his eyes. His whole body's relaxed, yet there's a promised conviction behind his words. There's something about this man I'm oddly drawn to. Jax is so big he could snap my neck between two fingers, but I feel... safe. I haven't felt that in years.
"Winters," I softly say, "Coralee Winters."
Jax gives me a brilliant smile that warms my insides, "Shit, another thing we have in common. Winters and White. Fucking perfect. Want to get out of this tavern for a night?"
I exhale, rubbing my tired eyes. The smell of booze and dusty old walls have gotten to me over the last few weeks, but I don't know this man from Adam. Tom wouldn't leave me alone with a crazy person, but why was Jax being so nice?
"Say yes Coralee. Lock up and come home with me. I won't touch you, I promise. You have nothing to fear from me. Let's just spend some time together." Jax sounds so sincere it borders on pleading.
I'm blown away. Who is this man? "You want me to just go to your cabin to... talk?"
He slowly stands up, towering over me, "Whatever you want, I'll do. Say yes."
"Yes." I blurt out without thinking.
He gives me another warm grin, and I smile back. I can't remember the last time I'd given a genuine smile. Was I at the point where I'd rather go home with a strange man than spend another night worrying if every sound was Braden coming to take me back?
I guess I am.
* Jaxxen *
I don't let Coralee change her mind after saying she'd come home with me. After she locked up, I led her to my Jeep with more pep in my steps since... a long time.
"Oh! I didn't grab my stuff!" she wrings her hands, looking out the window.
I smile to myself. Thank fuck she said yes tonight because I really don't want to be seen stalking the poor girl. Plus, I already ordered her things, setting up a room. Without knowing her exact size I'd bought simple girly shit universally known to womankind, like razors and yoga pants.
"You don't have to worry about anything with me," I honestly tell her, knowing she won't understand. Not yet.
Once I park my Jeep, she lets out a laugh, "You call this a cabin?"
Shrugging, I greet the dogs when they trot off the porch. I know my two-story, five-room cabin's modernized, but I camp out more than spent time in it.
"Come over here and hold out your hand," I tell Coralee.
With a shy look on her face joins me in front of the dogs, "They're so cute."
I take her hand by the wrist, caressing her soft skin. She let out a low gasp at the contact, making my dick instantly rise, but I focused on the dogs, "Guard." I firmly order Ren and Stimpy.
They both sniff Coralee then sit back.
She shots me a cute nose scrunched up squint, "What's that all about?"
I keep her hand in mine, hoping she feels the same connection I do, leading her up the porch steps, "Just what it means. As long as you are with them, they will always protect you with their lives." I turn to gaze down into her pretty eyes, "Me too Coralee. We'll all protect you from now on."
She lets out another low gasp, looking down. The girls scared of someone and I will find out who. I'm beyond pleased she agreed to come home with me. Does she sense the same pull I do when I peer into her eyes? I fucking hope so.
"Take off your shoes." I reluctantly let go to kick off my boots.
She slipped off her ratty shoes, and I made a point of checking the size. She follows cautiously inside, looking around with wide eyes. I like the fact she seems relaxed but watchful. It's never wise to lower your guard in new situations.
"You live here... alone?" Coralee smiles at the layout.
The first floor's a simple warm kitchen, a dining room with a lowered floor living space. I furnished it with authentic handmade pieces where I could. The dining room table was my favorite piece, made of heavy oak with a flawless finish. My office is down a narrow hallway out of sight but the four bedrooms upstairs are hardly furnished. I prefer the outdoors.
"Hopefully not for too much longer," I give a sly wink watching her cheeks flush adorably.
The red that creeps from below the awful sweater up to her cheeks makes me feel good. Coralee wants me as much as I do her. First things first though.
"Come on," I take her small hand in mine again going upstairs, "This is your room. I want you to shower and put on the robe on the back of the door."
She frowns, looking around the bedroom, "You're awfully pushy Jax. Do you normally tell women how to do everything or are you saying I stink?"
I can't help but chuckle, opening the en-suite door, flipping on the light to make sure I placed everything she'd need out. Yes, I'm a bossy asshole, but it's good to know she's comfortable enough to call me out on it. Coralee and I will get along fine if she keeps that fire blazing in her eyes.
I walk out of the bathroom to see her gazing out the window that had a perfect view of the long driveway. Coralee's always on alert. I love and hate that about her. I want to demand right then who made this woman so guarded but take a deep calming breath instead. There's plenty of time over the weekend for that discussion.
"I want you happy here." I softly tell her, "You're safe here Coralee."
She peers over her shoulder with down-turned lips, "Thank you." her frown is kinda cute, "I don't get why, but thank you, Jax."
"When you're finished, come downstairs, please." With another warm smile, I shut the bedroom door, hoping she does as I asked.
In my office, I send my buddy Coralee's name and information. While she'd worked, I'd gone up to the small room she slept in and looked at her license. She came from Tucker City and just a few months shy turning twenty-one. Such a young age to be scared of shadows.
After I was through with that, went into the kitchen. Although it was the middle of the night, I want to feed her. Just by looking at Coralee I can tell she doesn't eat right. She has the potential to have a strong body, and I intended to see to it.
"Jax?"
I turn from the skillet of bacon to look at Coralee. There was the girl I know I will marry one day. The black thigh high robe shows off her long legs. Her long blonde hair is darker when wet, the red taking over I note. Those pretty hazel eyes look happy for the first time since I'd met her, and my heart pumps a little harder.
"I hope you had everything you needed," I try to keep my tone light, turning back to the stove.
I'm fucking fuming though. On the inside of her right heel is a two-inch scar that looks fresh. A knife wound? Why the hell would someone stab her? Curious but not wanting to ruin our first night, I leave off the questions burning at the tip of my tongue.
Coralee meekly sits on a bar stool at the counter, "Why do you have so many feminine products if it's just you here?"
I don't want to scare her off, but I'm not a liar either. I place a plate of bacon and eggs in front of her, giving a smile instead of an answer.
"Aren't you going to eat?" she bites her lower lip.
My cock strains against my jeans watching her wrap her pink tongue around crisp bacon. "No. You worked hard and need to eat. How old are you Coralee?"
She avoids my stare, suddenly very interested in the eggs, "Oh, twenty-two. How old are you?"
I sigh crossing my arms, "I'll tell you if you don't fucking lie again. How old are you Coralee?" I raise my eyebrow daring her to bullshit me.
Her eyes tear up a little, but before I feel bad, they disappeared. She's fighting with herself, I see all the signs. Coralee doesn't know me but wants to trust me. I understand all too well the internal struggle.
Finally, meeting my stare she tells the truth, "Twenty. I'm twenty. Don't tell Tom because he has some deep moral code about being twenty-one to work or drink at his bar."
I plaster a soft smile on my face, "His son died at seventeen from alcohol poisoning. It fucked up his marriage. I'm thirty-four. You don't have to lie Coralee. Nothing you say will change how I feel about you."
She put the fork down, "How you feel about me? You don't even know me. That's sad about Tom. Crap, now I feel awful I lied to him."
"Don't be," I wave her concern and comments away, cleaning the kitchen, "When you're done you should get some sleep. I want to take you to your surprise like I promised."
Those hazel eyes lit up, and I resist the urge to touch her. She slid off the stool, saying good night in a sweet, kind voice before leaving. I let out a deep breath, going into my office. Keeping my hands off of Coralee will be hard.
Now that I have more information about her, order all kinds of shit, emailed a friend then went to bed. She's going to fall in love with me before the weekends over. It's not my ego's wishful thinking, but a flat fact.
I already know she belongs with me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NIPPY

Nippy    She is my iceberg. I have only glimpsed a sneak peek while she hides herself beneath I tell her she is sinking Doing everything I can to thaw the frost on her lips g ives me cracks no one can see as  I watch my glacial queen drift away  in unpredictable seas away from me... Joy4no1

Tricking Astrid (Ch 1)

    Chapter 1 Astrid thought the world of her boyfriend. They had started dating after meeting on the dance floor of a club she frequented. The club was called Bounce and boy did it every Friday and Saturday. He was extremely handsome, which at first made her wonder why he chose her. She wasn't unattractive, just the typical brunette type who men usually found boring at first glance. Blondes had better fun, right? He'd romanced her, made her feel special in little ways until she thought she was in love. Remy was his name and after three months they had yet to have sex. She was never pressured or approached by him like that. What they had gone beyond physical admiration. But after three months she did begin to question WHY they'd not had sex. She lived alone in a two-bedroom house left to her by her deceased grandparents. In actuality, she had no living family. Her friends were few, mostly ones she'd occasionally see at Bounce. She went dancing to cure her

You

YOU tell me I shouldn't care about YOU,      that all your promises were heartfelt but not meant to come true. I believed in YOU. I wanted YOU to believe in us too. My heart has to learn now      how not to beat for two. I am always thinking of YOU. My memory burns with YOU. How could YOU be so cruel? J.M.