Skip to main content

Tricking Astrid (ch 21)


Astrid shot straight up in bed.
Her panic eased when familiar surroundings sunk in. With a relieved gasp of air, sagged back down to the fluffy black silk pillows on Calder's bed. She had no idea what time it was having left her phone in the living room and her smartwatch charging back home. Her only thought had been finding a safe place away from Remy.
Calder walked into the room holding two cups of coffee looking concerned. He wore drawstring pajama bottoms she found adorable on his burly frame. "Good morning," he softly said, offering a cup, "I thought I heard you. Bad dreams?"
Astrid sat up, taking the coffee, "Something like that. Thank you. This is exactly what I need right now."
"You're welcome," he sat on the bed, "You were exhausted, Astrid. Hell, you still look it. Go back to sleep if you need to. I'm due at the office in an hour but I'll be back by noon."
She swallowed hard, feeling scared at the thought of Calder leaving. Slipping the coffee, she kept her eyes off of him. Calder stared like she'd disappear.
"Astrid, it's okay," he slowly lifted his hand not to startle her, caressing her hair with a tenderness she missed, "You are safe. I'll call you when I get to the office. Just sleep."
Astrid felt safe when Calder was near. His essence wasn't hateful or conniving. He truly made Astrid feel like a woman when looking or speaking to her. Not like a piece of ass or a toy to play with.
"Calder," her voice betrayed her fears as it broke, "I'm sorry I made you feel second all this time."
He chuckled with a perplexed look, "What do you mean?"
Astrid took his coffee cup and placed both on the side table so she could snuggle into his bare chest. "I wasn't ready to accept your kind of affection. Remy was already inside my head when you tried to show me I was worth more. Am I? Am I worth more than sex?"
"Yes," he earnestly exclaimed, "So much more Astrid! You may have quit your job, but you were damn good at it. Hell, you should see Flo and Mallory try to keep up. Plus, Flo keeps giving me the cold shoulder thinking I was the one who fired you."
"Fired me?" Astrid smiled, "Didn't you tell her the truth?"
"Yes," he smiled back, brushing her hair away from her face, "But you know she believes no one except the person the story belongs to. That's why my father hasn't let Chris sack her. She's a feisty, old-school secretary with morals. Just like you. I'd like it if you came back to work."
Astrid snorted, "As if Chris would ever allow that!"
"Yes, he would. It's easier than replacing and training a newbie. Plus, everyone misses you. Believe it or not, you belonged there as part of the company. I'd really like you to consider it."
She nodded, feeling her spirits lift as they'd talked. Being with Calder was already healing the damage Remy caused her psyche. She was feeling self-assured by Calder's positive reflection of her work at the firm. She did miss Mallory's nosy, good-natured prodding and Florence's attentive care to details about Astrid's needs or moods. In part, Flo had been like a caring distant relative the last three years. Yet, Astrid had walked out of the 3 C's without so much as a goodbye.
"Can I go to the firm tomorrow? To see Flo and Mallory at least?"
Calder smiled, "Why not? Now, I've got to get my ass in gear or I'll be late. I've got my first client coming in today."
"Ah," she dropped her arms sadly, "Great. Good luck."
He kissed her on the cheek before standing, "Please, go back to sleep. I'll be back by noon. It's just a morning briefing and when I come home, I'll bring food. I don't have much, but help yourself."
Astrid laid back down, "Cool, Thank you."
He laughed, walking to the closet, "This is nice. I like this. My beautiful girlfriend in bed until I return."
* Meanwhile *
Remy banged on Astrid's door until he was certain she wasn't home. Then, remembering she had a key stashed, retrieved it. The night hid his entrance into the darkened house. He quickly looked through all the rooms.
The bitch had left!
Where had she gone? Was she with HIM again? The anger that built up as he searched the house had sweat beading his forehead by the time he re-locked the door. He pocketed the key, then got into his car.
Calder.
Had Astrid ran to the little prick? She hadn't seen him in a while that much Remy knew. He had spied on her and knew Astrid had stayed home every night. It had been almost too easy to restart their relationship since she was so lonely.
Remy drove to Calder's condo, noting the Porsche. If Calder was home and with his girlfriend, Remy knew he'd have to stake the place out to be sure. So, he drove to a corner market for food and drink then quickly returned to sit out of sight.
He kept the anger burning to stay awake. The nerve of Astrid! Remy had fucked her so much how could she still want another man? He'd been loving and yet the whore wanted more? Astrid was a pain in the ass but he she was his.
Astrid would always belong to him.
Bad things happened to women who left Remy.
Terrible things.
At eight in morning Calder left the building alone. Calder looked up towards a window before getting into his car. Astrid must be up there in the apartment. Had to be by the look Calder inadvertently gave. The little prick was fucking his girlfriend and letting her stay!
Remy got out the car after Calder drove off. He stretched, hearing his back pop. With a menacing grin, dialed Astrid's phone letting it ring once before hanging up. He continued to do that in spurts, sure it was driving her crazy.
Remy casually walked up to the secured door, pretending to look for a number when an elderly lady and her little dog came out. She was more than happy to let Remy hold the door open while trying not to tangle the leash.
"Oh, thank you," The woman smiled, patting his arm when passing, "Very kind of you. She always tries to slip out and I have such a hard time with the heavy door."
"You're welcome," Remy flashed a charming smile, "She sure is a happy little pup. It's a lovely morning for a walk."
She nodded, focusing on the dog who yanked the leash with all its might, "Yes. Yes."
Remy walked inside the building, seeing the elevator. Now, his pulse raced with adrenaline as he contemplated what he'd do to Astrid once he got his hands on her.
He hummed a tune as he waited for the elevator to open.
* Upstairs *
Astrid heard her phone ring in sporadic waves, so got up from the bed to get her purse, finding it on top of the kitchen island and then to her dismay saw Remy was the one calling. She walked over to the full-length window with dread, looking down onto the street. She let out a strangled cry spotting Remy.
He walked towards the building then disappeared from sight.
Astrid hurriedly dialed Calder's cell and when he picked up her panic made it nearly impossible for her to speak, "Remy! He- he's here."
"Astrid?" Calder's voice tried to calm her down, "It's okay. Tell me what happened. What do you mean he's there?"
"He-he called. I-I saw him on the street walking up to the building. Calder, I'm scared. He-he kept telling me if I left he'd never let me do it again!"
"Calm down. I'm coming back. I can't believe that asshole! The building is secure and the doors are locked. Just don't go to the door. I'll be there in a few minutes."
"He'll get in!" she cried, "He wants me. I'm so sorry I brought you this mess. I'm so sorry."
"Astrid!" he barked, "You did nothing wrong! He's the one who hurt you. Stay away from the door."
Astrid stayed clear of the doors and windows, anxiously pacing, tears falling as she sobbed quietly. Why wouldn't Remy leave her alone? Sure, she had acted as if everything was fine the last time she had seen Remy but had to know he hurt her.
The last time they had talked had been when she was in the taxi on the way to Calder's. She had asked if he truly respected her when all he seemed to do was boss her around or hit her. The last three days she'd been with him had been like a tortured daydream. Love, hate, yearning, hopelessness, and fear had been the emotions behind her voice when she'd last spoke to Remy. He had told her to be home or else he'd make her sorry for what games she was playing. Only, she hadn't gone home. She would never let Remy touch her again.
Astrid tried to let Calder's calm, reassuring voice stop the tears. The loneliness she'd experienced stemmed from Remy's own inadequacies. He was a spiteful, lonely man who'd preyed on Astrid because she had no one. Well, he hadn't counted on Calder.
"I'm here," Calder said over the phone, "I'm going to hang up. Don't let me in because I will look around first. I see his car, but he isn't outside."
"Remy is inside!" she gasped, "I know he is."
"It's okay Astrid. Hang up the phone and I will be with you soon."
Astrid hung up then pressed her eye to the peephole. She didn't see anyone in the elevator alcove but Remy could still be out there.
On the second floor of the building, Remy looked up at the ceiling, picturing Astrid up there freaking out. He pocketed his phone before looking towards Chris Lewis's door. He had already checked out the man's wife, planning ahead for a time such as this.
Chris's wife Julia was a bored blonde bombshell. She had huge fake breast and a sexy body she took to the GYM twice a week. Julia was bored and lonely mostly because Chris was never around and they had sent their kids away.
Remy had purposely met her three weeks prior, approaching her at the GYM all smiles and sweaty abs on display. It wasn't hard to reel the woman in since he did it for a living. Julia had been smitten right away, spreading her liposuctioned legs within hours. If she only knew why Remy had hit on her, she would have called the police.
Remy knocked on Chris's door, smiling a sexy half-smirk when Julia opened it. She wore a white silk nightgown and layers of makeup coated her face even though it was early morning.
"Mike!" Julia yelped looking pleased as she shook her boobs, "How did you get up here without calling?"
"I wanted to surprise you," he winked, "Can I come in?"
Julia moved aside, "Mike, I thought about you all week but you never called me back. I really need a workout the GYM can't provide."
Remy laughed, "Honestly, you haven't even crossed my mind. I have a girlfriend and need your help, Julia."
Calder did not see Remy when he checked the lobby or his floor. He unlocked his apartment to find Astrid shaking like a leaf.
"It's alright," he held her, "Astrid, I won't work today. I'll stay right here with you. It's okay. You're safe."
"N-no," she pulled away with a look of embarrassment, "You said you have your first client coming in. I don't want to ruin your job because of my problems."
"I already called Cody. He will reschedule," Calder soothed, "And besides, I have things to tell you that may make you want to call the police."
Her widened her doe eyes, "What are you talking about?"
Calder ran a hand through his perfectly combed hair, making it unruly like Astrid preferred, "Baby, I hired a detective to find out about Remy."
She looked startled, walking across the room to sit on the sofa. With her knees curled up to her chin, face poking out she whispered, "Okay. Okay. I guess you had a reason for doing that."
Calder felt relieved she didn't freak out... yet. "Yeah, it was after he threatened me. Warned for me to stay away from you but I didn't. Anyhow, the detective only gave me the report a few days ago. The day you hooked back up with Remy, actually."
Astrid stared with frightened brown eyes. She was shaking, and he sat on the other end of the sofa so she'd not feel influenced by his nearness.
Astrid had to know the truth about Remy.
She had to fully know of the danger Remy posed.
"Remy loves me in his way," she softly said looking down, "I hurt him but it was my decision to get into his car the day I ran into him. I was so alone and confused after you left that night. H-he drugged me, Calder. Two nights in a row he put something in my drinks."
Calder clenched his hands, "He hurt you more than you said, didn't he? You don't have to tell me. I want to tell you what his background is like though. What he's done to other girls exactly like you."
Astrid gave a mournful sigh, wiping away fresh tears, "Do I even want to know? Are you saying he's treated other women like this?"
Calder wanted to get the report from his office, but that would mean leaving her alone and wouldn't do that. "The police report on Renold Meys cleared him of any charges in the death of Joyce and Alice, two former girlfriends in the last ten years."
Astrid gasped with a haunted look on her pale face, showing him she understood the seriousness of the situation. "No fucking way. Are you telling me Remy has two dead girlfriends? Calder, are you implying he murdered them?"
Calder swallowed then sat next to her. She looked shocked and her voice detached.
"Astrid, I have the report in the office. I was going to bring it back with me. Remy was cleared of any wrongdoing although the detective in charge told my man he seriously thought Remy capable of murder by his lack of concern. He had broken up with both women only weeks prior to their vicious murder-rape. Both girls had that in common. Raped, beaten to death."
"No," Astrid gasped desperately, wrenching his heart, "No! Not Remy. He's only rough during sex. He couldn't do that to anyone! H-he's just a little different because of the job."
"The job at the Armor? Yeah, he's worked there for a long time. The women he has as clients like sadomasochism. My man actually spoke to one when she came out of the emergency room."
Astrid shook her head, "Don't."
"Astrid, I want to show you that fucking report so you'll see it in plain text. Remy will not leave you alone. I would like you to file a restraining order."
She snorted, eyes wild, "He won't hurt me like that! Are you suggesting he'll kill me because in the last ten years two of his ex's have died? Who knows what those girls were into or who they were seeing. If you think I'm in danger, I already feel it. But... he loves me, Calder. Its abrasive love, but he wouldn't kill me!"
"Are you willing to bet your life on it?" he angrily spat, "I will not sit here and wait for that."
"I'm sorry," she clutched his shoulders, eyes searching his with a confused, exhausted gaze, "I just can't get my mind around what you've said. To think he would... kill women? To think he would hurt me like that... I can't see it. I can't! He's not that twisted!"
"Isn't he?" Calder pressed her body close, "You have bruises, but he's not twisted?"
Astrid's mind reeled from the information Calder landed at her feet. It was too frightening to consider. Remy was a freak in bed but he'd never made her think him capable of murder.
Murder.
She lurched to her feet, running to the window. "Calder, is his car still there?"
"It was when I arrived," Calder stood, "What are you thinking?"
"Why wasn't he outside then? He has to be inside this building. Where is he hiding? Where did you look?" she sounded pissed off instead of scared.
"I took the stairs, looking into the foyers on each floor," he told her, "My father insists Chris and I lock our foyer doors, but I don't in case of a fire. Chris does."
"The second floor?" she walked back to where he stood, wrapping her arms around his middle, gazing up into his piercing green eyes, "We have to be unafraid. I've come to realize that. When I fought Remy, it pissed him off but I had control."
"I'm NOT afraid," he gave her a stern frown at assuming he'd be intimidated, "You want me to go down and check again?"
"Yes, please. See if his car is still outside."
Calder squared his shoulders as if ready for confrontation, instructing Astrid to lock the door behind him. She did. After five minutes Calder returned, saying the car was gone. Calder asked if she was going to be alright.
Astrid only nodded, trying her best not to let the knowledge that Remy had two dead girlfriends he never once mentioned settle into her brain. Not like the cold dread which made her shiver and hug Calder for as long as he would hold her.
* * * * * *
Hello fellow readers
Is Remy a cold blood killer and what's his plans with Julia Lewis?
Coming up, Astrid has decisions to make and Calder once again opens up to her about how much he cares.
Please feel free to leave comments or suggestions whether it's good, bad or indifferent!
Joy M.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NIPPY

Nippy    She is my iceberg. I have only glimpsed a sneak peek while she hides herself beneath I tell her she is sinking Doing everything I can to thaw the frost on her lips g ives me cracks no one can see as  I watch my glacial queen drift away  in unpredictable seas away from me... Joy4no1

Tricking Astrid (Ch 1)

    Chapter 1 Astrid thought the world of her boyfriend. They had started dating after meeting on the dance floor of a club she frequented. The club was called Bounce and boy did it every Friday and Saturday. He was extremely handsome, which at first made her wonder why he chose her. She wasn't unattractive, just the typical brunette type who men usually found boring at first glance. Blondes had better fun, right? He'd romanced her, made her feel special in little ways until she thought she was in love. Remy was his name and after three months they had yet to have sex. She was never pressured or approached by him like that. What they had gone beyond physical admiration. But after three months she did begin to question WHY they'd not had sex. She lived alone in a two-bedroom house left to her by her deceased grandparents. In actuality, she had no living family. Her friends were few, mostly ones she'd occasionally see at Bounce. She went dancing to cure her

You

YOU tell me I shouldn't care about YOU,      that all your promises were heartfelt but not meant to come true. I believed in YOU. I wanted YOU to believe in us too. My heart has to learn now      how not to beat for two. I am always thinking of YOU. My memory burns with YOU. How could YOU be so cruel? J.M.