Skip to main content

Blood & Guns (Ch 1)

Chapter 1


I met a real-life contract killer at my friend Jerry's 26th birthday party. I had an eclectic choice of friends as it were, so meeting the most gorgeous guy in my life at Jerry's wild bash had my flirtatious side revved up to ten.
Jerry did not know who the stocky, powerfully built man I pointed out. Jerry and I had dated once, deciding it was better to be friends after shit got awkward. Jerry was cute, but the striking, green-eyed blonde man had all others at the party found wanting.
So, Jerry and I went to meet him.
I was pretty drunk by this time, my red dress no longer uncomfortable. It showed off my long legs and the front cut was cut so low it threatened to expose my double-D breast. I typically showed off my assets when I could, so it wasn't uncommon for my outfits to fight my curves.
I was a bold person.
It as a blessing or a curse depending on situations.
The second the man's hazel eyes landed on mine, something clicked between us. I didn't believe in love at first sight, especially drunk, but his direct insightful stare nearly stopped my heart.
Jerry stuck out a hand, thanking the mysterious man for coming and who did he come with? I remained silently next to Jerry, smiling in a 'you're hot' stance. In a low, but ultra sexy smooth tone he introduced himself as Jaben.
What a fucking name. I loved it.
Jaben politely kept small talk with Jerry, but those hazel eyes began checking me out. I was thrilled. He was fucking gorgeous.
Jerry excused himself when someone called his name. I smile coyly at the man whose body rippled with concealed muscle. His neck was thick and powerful—the type of neck that a girl could hang onto—as well as two trees he had for arms.
"I didn't get your name." Jaben stepped closer, but sideways so it appeared he was checking out the room, which I realized he was, instead of me.
"That's because Jerry didn't introduce me," I purred, "I'm Lisette. By the way, I love your name."
His eyes raked over my body once in an obvious manner before returning them to the crowded room, "I like yours as well. Is Jerry your boyfriend Lisette?"
I liked his voice. It was low, but smooth as if every word meant something and I needed to pay attention. I laughed a little nervously, wondering why he would presume that.
"No," I ran a hand through the top on my long layered brunette hair, "Who did you come with?"
Jaben suddenly takes hold of my hand, pulling me out onto the less crowded terrace. Jerry's large house sat on five acres, most of which were gardens. He'd shut the party strictly downstairs and outside. The moon lit up the open area highlighting the rose bushes I was thrust near too.
"Whoa," I laughed confusingly, Jaben's stronghold on my hand making my body flush, "If you wanted to go outside you could have asked."
Jaben's strong jaw ticked when he pinched his mouth to the side, eyes harder than before. I smiled like an idiot.
"Lisette," he held onto my hand, directing me into the darkness, "You have fucking great legs."
"Thank you," I grin, "If I were to say you're the hottest guy I've ever seen, do I sound like a dork?"
Jaben turned me so I was flush against the cold brick exterior of the house. He began looking in the sheer curtained windows. I felt a little weird how he acted, looking inside after taking me outside.
"What's going on?" I asked, bringing our joined fingers up to my flat stomach, pressing his fingers against my dress, "I'm a bold woman but you are worst. I always find trouble this way."
He returned his attention back to me, seemingly amused. His smile was seductive and alluring, pausing my thought I should go back inside and forget this guy. For all the men I'd screwed around in my twenty-five years, I was easily played. I went with the flow until fed up or someone better came along. I know I sound completely shallow and whorish, but my life was the only thing that broke the monotony I constantly felt.
I needed to feel alive.
"In trouble?" he leered, putting pressure on my belly as his other hand landed beside my head on the bricks, "By that dress you're wearing, I gathered you are bold. But, are you naughty as well?"
Heat shot up my spine. I loved the way Jaben leaned into me, his eyes on my level, watching my every reaction with humor and something... else.
"I don't want to be naughty, it just happens," I throatily answered, frozen with unsure lust, "What about you? Do you go for the girls in low cut dresses every time, or am I just lucky tonight?"
He grinned. Beautifully. His perfect white teeth gleaming in the low light. Jaben oozed confidence, power, muscles and movie star looks. It wasn't fair I was tipsy and the things coming out of my mouth not as thought out or cute but he seemed to like my attitude.
I never considered myself a right thinker anyhow.
My friends all thought me bitchy, smart-mouthed and too bold for my own good.
"You're my cover right now," he murmured, placing his darkened features close to my lips as he continued in a husky, warning tone of voice, "I came to this party to do a job. The girl, in the low cut dress, whose beautiful face and surprising charm, is just a distraction."
My heart hammered in my chest so hard I couldn't speak. Wide-eyed, I gazed back into his dangerous green ones even as he pressed harder against my body. Oh, the solid feel of his chest was enough to make me woozy. Jaben smelt great too, like spice and something else. He planted his lips firmly on mine for a very long second, then backed away entirely.
"Nice to meet you, Lisette," he suavely winked at my frozen form, "I hope to see you again."
I watched as Jaben walked back inside without a backward glance. Turning my head, I looked through the window in time to see Jaben take hold of a man gruffly, hauling him towards the front entrance.
What the hell had he been talking about?
I ran through the throng of people not really knowing what I was doing except trying to catch up with Jaben and the scared man in tow. The circular drive opened to a large paved lot where the majority of party-goers parked.
Trying to see in the dimly lighted row of cars, I finally heard two men arguing. There was no one besides us, apparently. Jerry's house was better than hanging out with the cars. Jaben must have terrified the greasy-looking man he'd dragged out because the voice I heard was totally panicked and shitless.
I approached Jaben from behind.
"Please, I'll pay," Greasy guy pleaded as I purposely rattled my car keys alerting them to my presence.
Jaben shoved a gun in my face and I dropped my keys. He scowled so fiercely I almost screamed. Luckily, he turned the gun on the guy before I wet myself.
"Who's she?" The guy yelled, "Why can't we do this tomorrow like I told HIM?"
Jaben reached back so quick I didn't react in time to run away. He snatched my left wrist, yanking me forward until we were both peering at the 9mm he held. I was so stunned, I had yet to say one fucking word or think to run.
Jaben's face was clear of any visible emotions, but his neck muscles bulged from tension, "Girl," he gazed unflinchingly at me, "You are trouble. And shut the fuck up Larry. You don't tell Him anything."
I swallowed my fear and then my drunkenness was gone in a poof at the realization Jaben is a killer. For whom, I didn't want to know. He was trying to collect Larry or scare him and my dumb-ass decided to chase the hot guy who'd kissed me.
I didn't fear Jaben.
That was the weird thing. Somehow I knew he wouldn't harm me.
Larry edged my way. The guy looked like a scumbag. How he ended up at Jerry's party was beyond me. I gave the man a dirty look, my attitude bouncing back from being held at gunpoint.
"Nice rack on this one," Larry grinned lewdly, showing one gold-capped tooth, "Maybe you should allow me one last fuck Jaben, for all the favors I did for Him."
"Don't fucking touch me!" I growled when his sweat glistening hands reached out.
"Don't move!" Jaben stepped closer, gun solely on Larry, "I'll fucking pop you here if you don't shut the hell up. Give me your cell phones then get in the damn car."
Larry reached into his dark pants, confidence faltering, "But..."
"I left mine inside," I held up my hands, hip out as to ask where the hell I'd hide a phone.
Jaben took Larry's phone then calmly took hold of my upper arm while pressing the muzzle of the gun against Larry's neck. "No more talking. Larry, you drive. Girl, you sit in front."
Was I 'girl' now? I opened my mouth but one sharp look at his deathly serious expression stopped my plea to be let go. Then his expression softened, seeing my fear. I shook my head, tears of fear clouding my vision.
"Just do what I say, when I say it," Jaben quietly said, opening the passenger door of a late model BMW, "Larry, you know I hate to do this."
Larry started the car as I stiffly sat beside him. The interior was filthy and smelt of cigarette smoke. Jaben told him to continue up the wooded hills, instead of returning to the city. We were on the outskirts of Tucker City, in Rolling Roll Hills.
My fear of death had never been so close as it now presented itself. I never thought about death but right then I knew it was looking over my shoulder. I couldn't believe I had stumbled into this position.
I typically lived day to day, blissful in my recognized laziness. I wrote for a living, already published two successful historical romances in three years. My agent and editors all praised me as a young author who had a fantastic future ahead.
My zest for men and pleasures I wrung from their lives had put me in this smelly, dirty car with two of the worst I'd ever come across. Jabens' gun rested in his lap as he directed Larry where to go. I was ignored thankfully. Why didn't Jaben simply tell me to go away instead of pointing that thing at me back there? I would have left after calling him a tease and enjoyed the rest of my night. But no, Jaben had pulled me into whatever situation his boss had in store for sweaty Larry.
Jaben ordered Larry to stop when we had driven up the mountain for at least thirty minutes, hitting dirt and on a less beaten path. Larry looked like a sheet of paper, making me worried he would pass out.
Jaben climbed out of the backseat, "You know the drill Larry," his voice calm and uncaring, "and girl, please exit as well."
I threw the door open, stepping out pissed, "My name is Lisette! Why the hell did you bring me? All you had to do was tell me to fuck off."
Jabens eyes followed Larry's movements, "Maybe I want you to see how the other half lives. You've handled yourself well."
"Fuck you," I spat walking to the front of the car, "And what side are you speaking of? Not good, that's apparent. You're trouble, not me. I can't believe I said that earlier."
Larry wasn't looking well. His entire body reeked from where he stood, face pinched and even whiter than before. Jaben placed us both in front of the headlights, gun pointed at the ground. The thick silence of the woods felt ominous.
"Have you tasted fear like you are now?" Jabens' light tone irritated me, "Have you felt your entire body surge with adrenaline? Bet your whole life seems rather simple now, doesn't it girl?"
He had no idea how stupid he sounded. I am a natural brat. My poor parents had a hell of a time with my stubbornness and erratic behavior. Not even I understood why I did half the things I said or did. Maybe I am manic. I like to be the one often teased for exhibiting wild, off the wall shit. Everyone in my life knew how unpredictable I am. I already told this strikingly handsome, yet obviously, dangerous man, holding a gun, I was into doing stuff that found me knee deep in shit.
Like now.
Jabens' sexy, oddly seductive talk about fear and adrenaline made me excited, not shaking in terror. Terror was what had Larry trembling on my left, his ragged breaths loud and pathetic.
"I'm not into simple," I smiled, noting the surprise that showed on his face. I gave him my best, low lash and erotic eye glaze curtly saying, "but I am into guys that show me new experiences."
Jaben gazed back with a lazy smile, coming to stand by Larry, "We'll have to show and tell later, little girl. But you," he poked Larry in the chest with the muzzle of the gun, "and I need to walk and talk."
Was he serious? Yup. Leaving me in front of the car, Jaben prodded Larry into the thicket of the forest.

Copyright © 2018 by Joy M.
All rights reserved. This book or any portion thereof
may not be reproduced or used in any manner whatsoever
without the express written permission of the publisher
except for the use of brief quotations in a book review.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NIPPY

Nippy    She is my iceberg. I have only glimpsed a sneak peek while she hides herself beneath I tell her she is sinking Doing everything I can to thaw the frost on her lips g ives me cracks no one can see as  I watch my glacial queen drift away  in unpredictable seas away from me... Joy4no1

Tricking Astrid (Ch 1)

    Chapter 1 Astrid thought the world of her boyfriend. They had started dating after meeting on the dance floor of a club she frequented. The club was called Bounce and boy did it every Friday and Saturday. He was extremely handsome, which at first made her wonder why he chose her. She wasn't unattractive, just the typical brunette type who men usually found boring at first glance. Blondes had better fun, right? He'd romanced her, made her feel special in little ways until she thought she was in love. Remy was his name and after three months they had yet to have sex. She was never pressured or approached by him like that. What they had gone beyond physical admiration. But after three months she did begin to question WHY they'd not had sex. She lived alone in a two-bedroom house left to her by her deceased grandparents. In actuality, she had no living family. Her friends were few, mostly ones she'd occasionally see at Bounce. She went dancing to cure her

You

YOU tell me I shouldn't care about YOU,      that all your promises were heartfelt but not meant to come true. I believed in YOU. I wanted YOU to believe in us too. My heart has to learn now      how not to beat for two. I am always thinking of YOU. My memory burns with YOU. How could YOU be so cruel? J.M.